Dar el Souf is located in the lower Kasbah, at the Souk-el-Djemâa neighborhood, bordering the street of the Mechri brothers. Built in 1798 it was used before 1830 as a wool warehouse, in 1830 it became a military hotel and in 1871 the seat of the Assize Court and the Prosecutor General’s Office, during the Battle of Algiers it served as “interrogation center” . After 1962 it was occupied as a dwelling. Classified in 1887, it is currently in full restoration work. It will house the future national center for the restoration of cultural property.